Friday, June 24, 2011

Playing with Literacy

I really enjoyed the readings on literacy because it put so succinctly the underlying theme of first grade. The ability to communicate the thinking process is key. In my class we do a lot of math and science chats. I am always amazed at the complex reasoning my students have.
Through cognitively guided instruction, students learn to defend (explain) their math answers. I liken it to a verbal "show your work" skill. The students become so tuned to listening to the way his or her classmate thinks, that it becomes easier and easier for them to devise different ways of doing math, spot errors, build patterns, etc. Mostly I like it because it shows that there is more than one right way to do math. I can stand in front of the class and lecture until I'm blue in the face about fact families and some one my students will not "get it". However, they can listen to a classmate explain it, "get it", and look at me like 'well! Why didn't you just say that in the first place?'
I am a big fan of inquiry based science too. I feel that by presenting science in an inquiry based environment, the playing field is leveled. The "book smart" student can't just look up the answer. He or she has to figure it out. It gives that "A" student an opportunity to practice skills that he or she is not as comfortable with. Aside from that, I love the collaboration and literacy that goes along with inquiry based science. I feel that the whole process of discovery and allowing concepts to solidify through hands on experience lends itself tremendously to science literacy.
Hmm... Technology... collaboration. Literacy...collaboration. I'm sensing a pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Argumentation (coming soon) is closely tied to literacy. It isn't too early in first grade to start helping your students clearly identify evidence to support their conclusions in science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brunsell. I've also figured out that by utilizing digital story telling, I can assess science literacy without it being muddied by lack of first grade reading/writing literacy.

    ReplyDelete