Monday, June 13, 2011

I started at the top of the list like most concrete sequential people do. I am glad that the WHAT IS WEB 2.0 does not self destruct after one viewing because I began to feel like the man was speaking a foreign language. I need my teenagers here with me to clarify details. I am positive that my reflections will become more in depth as a gain more understanding. I, once again, am left with the age old question about today's (digital) learners: Why is it innate for our students and I have to learn about it on the web??

I agree wholeheartedly that technology is the future of education. One of the very best jumping off points I can give to my students is to teach them to log on, navigate and evaluate. I have a gut feeling (verified by experience) that technology offers multifaceted experiences for all kinds of students. From the most reserved to the most boisterous, each has the opportunity to find his or her niche. Technology offers mind-blowing enhancement. Because of the ease of access to information, I truly hope that the focus switches from the memorization and regurgitation of facts to higher orders of thinking. I'd like to see my students understand why something happened and the ramifications for example rather than memorize facts that are readily available at our fingertips.

I loved the first reading because I could identify with the idea of the web having a greater impact than the printing press. Although it seems hard to imagine such an impact, I have in mind my extremely shy students who are allowed to showcase their talents in a “safe” “cool” way that would not been available to them had they gone to school with me. The final projects produced by these students are astounding. The projects provide a view that would have gone else wise undetected and I for one am grateful for the creative outlets offered by the web. The collaboration and participation WEB 2.0 technology offers to students lends itself to finely tuned and detailed content.

I am ok with the idea of a flat world too because it levels the playing field. I also believe that with all the collaboration that goes on web wide, that the solution for falling off the edge of the flat earth will not only be discovered, it will become an extreme sport.

I’m posting now, reflecting more once I’m assured it will work…

4 comments:

  1. Still floundering a bit but decided to err on the side of caution and introduce myself. I teach first grade at Rossiter Elementary School in Helena, MT. I absolutely love it. My students never cease to amaze me. I have been very much in to inquiry based science for the past two years. It is incredible the capacity my first graders have. They astound me every time we do science. They design their own investigations for Pete's sake. All I have to do is plant the seed and get out of the way. I use technology in science to help with concepts that are too large for 6 year old understanding. For example, we explored Newton's Laws (I kid you not) and used NSTA video to help solidify the laws.
    I have teenagers and a six year old so I feel very confident in my mentors here at home. I may end up doing a lot of their laundry as trade for their help but I don't mind. I'm very excited in anything that boosts student learning and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a science teacher- high school. I'm always interested in new ideas, and am curious to know how you currently use technology in your classes. I agree with your statement that technology is the future of education. Our state superintendent (Idaho) is trying to get a law passed requiring students to have so many on-line credits prior to graduation. I have mixed feelings on that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the mixed feelings about on line credit. I can understand that the superintendent wants globally competitive graduates and technology is a key component but there is something to say about face to face interaction. I do think that today's students are missing out on some social skills... maybe they won't need them. Keyboarding is taking over cursive. Who knows what will go on in the social arena.
    My first grade students get the laptop computers at least once a week. They can log themselves on and navigate the web very well. I used technology a lot in science when dealing with space, planets, gravity etc. These concepts (distance, travel etc)get easier with the images and interaction on some of the websites. They also used comic life and easy poster builders to create final products to demonstrate their understanding of what they learned. Even the most shy student in my class was excited to share her findings. I think she felt like she was not as exposed because she had her poster to talk about.

    ReplyDelete