Thursday, June 16, 2011

Further Reflection

In reflecting on our readings for week one, I found truth in what I have read. In my own classroom, I know I am guilty of using my classroom’s lap top time to engage my first graders in literacy based games with the sole goal of having my students master basic computer skills such as logging on and navigating.

However, I have also used computers to enhance student activity. I find that I do this more naturally in science rather than in math of reading. I seem to find a more comfortable fit going to technology to solidify science curriculum and tend to rely on the computer more as a data gatherer or test giver in reading and math. I know that I am far more reliant on technology in science as far as seeing what my students produce. The focus of science in my class is depth of production, analysis, and understanding. Perhaps this is because we are just starting out in reading and math. This makes me wonder if technology usage is related to the level of learner readiness. What I mean by this is that in the beginning of the year, teaching 21 first graders to log on to a laptop is in and of itself a chore. It seems natural to me to play reading literacy games at that point. With science, we can go deeper as a class because first graders have fantastic scientific minds. Perhaps that is why we can utilize technology to more of its capacity in my science classroom. I consistently use computers to enhance student learning and visualization in science. I do see now that I focus a lot on the mechanics of technology with reading literacy and more on enhancement with science. Frankly, I prefer science technology and by the end of the year, so do my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment