Friday, July 8, 2011

web tools

Web tools have been on my mind a lot this week even though I have not been in front of a computer. I like how this class plants the seeds of knowledge. I can then process at my own pace before having to jump in without a well thought out plan.

One of the ways I will use web tools in the future is to allow a student portfolio for science. I have been unable to do this up to this point because of the reading literacy issue with first graders. By using web tools, I will be able to overcome the language arts literacy deficits and be able to focus more on science literacy with my students.

I went on a fly-fishing trip and was able to draw connections between story boarding, video, PowerPoint and other ways of sharing information. I cannot figure out how to upload a PowerPoint to my blog but have included video. I am very excited to take this back to the classroom to use with students. Part of me wishes this class were offered during the school year so that I could show what my actual students are capable of undertaking, understanding and producing.

One of the critical science competencies for first grade in my district is the plant life cycle. Up until now, I have always created a paper science journal and had students illustrate their understanding of the plant cycle. I see now that this competency lends itself perfectly to story boarding. By allowing my students to use video to share their knowledge, I am removing writing limitations. By removing limitations, I no longer have to guess if the student really knows and is just inhibited by writing levels or if there is a gap in science literacy.

I know that my students will be better able to focus on science literacy while being less limited by their current reading and writing level by using web tools. I never would have made the easy jump without this class.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the science portfolios. I've done them with my middle schoolers for a awhile now but we've done them in binders. I'd never thought of using web tools to do one but you have me thinking now, and I know the kids would love it!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete